Although there is evidence that an association of dealers existed, and that a Motor Car Show was held in March 1907, the first documented beginning of the Automobile Dealers Association of Greater Kansas City can be traced to the organization's original Articles of Incorporation dated November 11, 1909. Originally known as the Motor Car Trade Association of Kansas City, 15 intricately-penned dealer signatures appeared on the Articles. Automobiles and over-the-road transportation were still in the formative years when the Association began, but putting the public's needs first was central to the founding members' objectives.
The Association was created to advance, educate and encourage public interest in new cars and trucks; improve public perception of new car dealers; promote and improve business conditions of the automobile industry in the Kansas City Metropolitan area; and to foster the highest standards of integrity in business practices among new car dealers.
The Association is comprised of auto manufacturer franchised new car/truck dealerships and provides advocacy on behalf of its dealers. Our dealer-members proudly support charitable and civic activities in the community. Governed by a Board of Directors, the Automobile Dealers Association of Greater Kansas City owns and produces the annual Greater Kansas City International Auto Show.
Needless to say, the Kansas City auto industry has evolved quite a bit over the past 100 years. And though we have removed terminology such as air ships from our initial charter, we remain dedicated in treating consumers respectfully and fairly. Some things never go out of style.